Sunday, July 15, 2007

Working life

It's funny.  When I'm walking around the streets of KL, I have so much going through my head lately that you'd think I'd have plenty to say.  But then for some reason, I sit down in the internet cafe and suddenly I go brain dead.  Ok, maybe not brain dead, just too vacant and lazy to bother writing anything...  Maybe just uninspired.  Or maybe just too disorganized. 
I've been reading a lot since getting here which has been nice.  Sure, I could do that anywhere, why do I need to be in Malaysia?  Uh, no real good reason, but then again, suppose you wanted to take a year off and just read all those books you've had lined up on your to do list?  Where would be the best place to do it?  Hmm, probably some place nice, comfortable, with lots of amenities, and above all else, somewhere cheap!  Unfortnately KL isn't the cheapest place I've been, but then again this isn't where I'd go if I was going to take a year off and just read.  I'd probably go to some remote hill top where there were no distractions...  As expensive as it is here, it is cheaper than home.  If you look at the Big Mac factor, a double cheese burger value meal here is only 7.15 RM -- that's just over two dollars.  Back home it would be at least three something.  Movies are only about three dollars and if I wanted to live real spartain like, I could have stayed in a dorm bed for three dollars a night too -- originally I did, but then after two nights sharing a room with some of the sketchiest bunkmates I've run into I upgraded to a private room for twice that amount.  Actually the two main expenses I've hit are going out to clubs which charge obnoxious covers (and which I haven't frequented for just that reason) and buying books.  Frequent trips to starbucks to escape the heat also have a way of adding up...
The time has finally come for me to leave it all behind though.  I've long since sorted out all the annoyances of getting my visa and tonight I head up to Bangladesh.  I know one of the main reasons I left home to travel around the world was my, err, shall we call it "reluctance" to work, but I'm looking forward to what I'm sure will be an interesting experience.  As I've never done anything like this before, I hope to learn a lot even though I have no idea quite what it is I should expect to learn...
At any rate, I don't think I'll be going on line much while I'm in Bangladesh for two reasons.  First I imagine I'll be busy working and second I don't expect the barge I stay on will have much of an internet connection -- somewhat ironic considering the barge will be carrying about 8 kilometers of fiber optic cable...
Ok, I'm going to go soak up my last few hours of western civilization. 
Take care,
Jf

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really have anything to say. I primarily just want to beat Spiegel in responding.

Have fun working on a barge in Bangladesh! That's one sentence I never thought I'd ever have the chance to type so thanks for giving me the chance to do that!

Hope you're having fun and such. Not much to report from the US. Um, you missed the cicadas. Too bad. Jared

Anonymous said...

ahahah! secondies!

anyway, have fun on the barge! what do you do with the books when you're done reading them? do you sell them back or donate them?

intransit said...

I use them as toilet paper =)
Just kidding -- I haven't used toilet paper since January (ok, that's not entirely true, I've used it a few times over the last week because my current hotel happens to have the option of TP or bum gun and for a while the bum gun just looked so retchedly dirty that I didn't want to use it, I got over that disgust though and I've sworn off toilet paper once again).
On koh tao I either sold them back to the store where I bought them, or gave them to anybody who wanted to read them. In KL I gave Freakonomics and the Accidental Tourist to a friend and right now I'm carrying one book I've finished that's waiting for adoption. I've offered it to my workmates, but don't really expect it's their type of book.

Anonymous said...

Trying to keep up with all your adventures, I'm a little behind on reading your blogs. I'm missing our breakfasts - but very glad you're having the time of your life!

oh, saw your LinkedIn profile - Nice!
- Lynn