Thursday, August 07, 2008

Uexpected diversions

I've decided to take a sudden detour on my way to staying where I was. I've spent almost a week at the most recent farm/country cottage and I had no intention of leaving for another week or so, but then yesterday morning I finally got around to looking up some information on a university near Paris that I was hoping to visit while I was in the country.  That's when I discovered they give guided tours every friday afternoon. I fly out from paris a week from wedesday so that only leaves tomorrow and next friday. Unfortunately next Friday also happens to be a national holiday so that really just leaves tomorrow.  I could also call to arrange another time, but I'd rather go at one of the standard times in the hope that I won't be the only obe there. It would be nice to see who else is interested in going as well as size up the competition so to speak.
So this morning after moving some gravel, I took a quick shower and packed a few things in my day bag. My host dropped me at the bus station and now I'm on a train to paris. It took me forever yesterday to find a place to stay - one of the many downsides to traveling during peek tourist season, but I finally did. So I'll be spending two nights in Paris and taking a day trip into Fontainebleau tomorrow. 
The gite (a french word for vountry cottage pronounced jeet only with the j sounding more like the 's' in measure) is beautiful. There's a big barn, some wooded area, some prairie, a large set of vegetable gardens and a small natural pond which is continually filled by an underground spring flowing out of an old well. She's building a half court basketall court next to the barn for when her son (and any other fans) visit - that's where i was moving gravel this morning.  She's also renovating and fishing the interior of the barn to make a workshop/art studio. Yesterday we spent part of the morning painting the masonry exterior wih paint made from water, lime, dye and fermented pee :-)  Talk about marking your territory! I've also spent some time weeding, mulching and picking vegetables in the garden as well as demonstrating my new found skill at cutting down blackberry brambles with the oversized weed wacker.
It's been fun and relaxing though and the food albeit not particularly french, is delicious. Most of it comes straight from the garden. I do regret not being forces to practice my french more, but at this point I was greatful for the opportunity to save some money and I'm enjoying my time.
Take care all,
J

No comments: