Thursday, January 08, 2009

on the road again...

Seems like I've probably started a few blogs with that comment before, but it's such a comforting and familiar feeling to me =)  Of course this time things are a little different.  It took a year, but I succeeded in my plans of corrupting the girl I met just before Costa Rica into quitting her job, selling her car, trashing half of her belongings and storing the other half (she isn't quite as dematerialized as I am...) and travel the world with me. 
So with little more than our backpacks, one way tickets to guatemala and two week reservations at an intensive spanish immersion school located in quetzaltenango (aka xela), we were off.  Our 2:05 am redeye flight became a night on the floor in O'hare followed by a morning flight, so we were tired when we arrived in Guatemala City, but no jetlagged -- it's directly south of Chicago so there is NO time change!  Our second day we rushed off to a bus station only to find the bus was scheduled for half an hour than we expected which gave us plenty of time to have a delicious breakfast of eggs, cheese, tortillas, black beans and plantains.  mmmmmm.  All that for jus over a buck =)
Now we're in Xela and we've just had our first morning of spanish instruction.  In a few minutes we need to head back for the evening activiy -- salsa y merengue lessons! 
The family we're staying with is very friendly and I'm sure after a few more days Karen will get over her shyness and start yammering away en espanol.  Until hen we'll just have to work no our vocab =)
I guess that's it for now though.  Time to dance the night away.
Hasta la proxima,
J

No comments: