Friday, January 09, 2009

Xela

Last semester in my AI class there was a section in logic where they used the example that each person can has a left leg, but no person can have more than one left leg.  We were supposed to write this out in a particular first order logic notation using funny symbols.  Well, maybe nobody has more than one left leg, but last night at salsa lessons I proved that it's possible to have two left feet.  Ok, maybe I wasn't that bad, but I still have the hardest time with the "open" and the spins.  Actually, I think I had the exact same problems I had a few years ago when I took a lesson or two.  I can get the basic movement, but once you have to switch it up my feet want to stick with the original rhythm and moving one foot back when it wants to go forward, or remembering which foot it is that's supposed to go back just throws me off.  I think it only made matters worse that after learning my part, I looked over and tried copying the part that the maestra was showing Karen -- that would of course be the girls part... 
We kind of got it down in the end though and now maybe we just need to practice alot before going back for another lesson... 
Today we went to a glass blowing factory in lieu of class -- or rather in the middle of class.  So it was 1 hour of class, then a field trip followed by one more hour of class.  Little did they bother to check that all the glass factory workers were on holiday so the shop was open, but there was no glass blowing to be seen.  Just a video...  Pobre Karen.  I've seen glass blowing a number of times before but this would have been her first time.
Tomorrow we don't have class because it's the weekend, but we do have a field trip to a nearby volcano.  I'll have to be careful not to trip and fall in =)  After that one of the other students was hoping we'd go with her to another town nearby (maybe a few hours by bus) and come back Sunday, but I think we'd rather just stay here and relax.  After all, I have my first homework to do -- el preterito (past tense). 
Take care,
J

No comments: