Saturday, September 09, 2006

En route to kobenhavn


En route to kobenhavn
Originally uploaded by dscheffy.
I wonder if I need to be dating these. Yesterday I tried sending my first post and I'm not really sure if it worked. For some reason all the pictures I took were unrecognizable on my pda -- corrupt or something. I tried again today and the ones I've taken since then seem to be fine. I guess my palm just didn't like the pictures I took of that pile of horse @$@#... Anyway, I haven't really gotten around to figuring out how to send text only posts directly to blogger.com -- I just know the email address I use for posting pictures as attachments via flickr so I tried sending the post sans attachment and I'm not sure if flickr appreciated that. It could also be that it doesn't like it when I send too much text. These are all things I'll figure out with time.



It's thursday now -- the seventh maybe? What, I got in on tuesday which was the fifth, so yeah, today must be thursday september 7th. Last night I went out again with Mark for a few beers and some Currywurst. Doener Kebab und currywurst, was sonst hat Deutschland anzubieten? Mark suggested when I get home I should open a restaurant that serves both. Of course I think most of the success revolved around his other suggestion of topless waitresses. I said that wouldn't go over so well in the states, but if I end up marrooned somewhere else rather than making it back home, I'll definitely keep the idea in mind;-)



It was another semi restless night, but by the time my alarm went off at 5:45, I didn't want to wake up... I hit the snooze button a few times and rushed down to take a quick bath and get ready to leave in a rush. We left a little later than planned, but Mark got me to the trainstation with plenty of time to spare. Now it's a little afternoon and I've just entered Denmark. The highlight of the trip was definitely the 45 minute ferry ride between the two countries. It was my first and I didn't realise that the train pulls into a lower level of the ferry and you have to get off if you want to see anything. I went up top to look around and have a little goulasch suppe. It's pretty gray out so the pictures I shot of the cloudy horizon aren't particularly mentionable, but I'm sure I've included one. Windmills -- no, not off the side of the ferry, but on land out the window of the train just now. I looked to the side and saw a big array of them. How's that for a nonsequitor...



The one picture I would have liked to get, but had already gone back in and put my camera away, was of a seagull. It was flying alongside the boat, but since we were both moving at the same pace, it looked as though the gull was just stuck in time, floating mid air, not moving at all. Every now and then it would jut a bit from side to side, but it maintained its course sitting in the same spot, mid air, relative to the boat. A couple stood next to it, the man holding a camera focused on something off in the horizon, completely oblivious to the bird less than an armslength away. I couldn't help but wonder if the bird thought it was racing us. Eventually it did start to overtake the boat and slowly moved forward -- bad move. There a maintenance man stood with a hose in hand. He'd been washing the deck, but now that the seagull was within reach, he found more entertaining uses for his hose... It didn't take long for the bird to abandon us.

1 comment:

plavacek said...

so wait a minute ... you mean the train gets on a ferry? That's just trippy! Anyway. Have fun in Denmark.