Saturday, December 30, 2006

Happy New Year!

Well, I just arrived in Budapest for newyears (a day early to give myself a chance to rest up for the imminent partying =)  It's a bit late so I'll keep this short.  Let's see, Christmas in Ljubljana was nice and relaxing, Graz (the home town of Arnold -- it's not a tumor) was quaint, then I road with my new friends Carmen and Harry out to the mountains (hmm, I think they might have been the alps, but I guess just the baby alps or something) to stay a few nights at one of Harry's friends ski homes.  They cooked the best dinners (austrian goulasch and some onion steak roast) and after a rather crazy game of austrian spoons the first night we took it easy and played risk the second night.  Actually, Mathias taught me an austrian card game which is a bit like a variation (very varied that is) of Euker -- I won't bother explaining the rules now, but I think it was called schnapsen if anybody wants to google it...
Yesterday we went skiing -- so now I've skied (if you can call falling on your ass 10 times skiing).  I only went half way down once, but I got to know all the parts of the hill I hit very close up!  On some of the steep parts I made every attempt to slide down as far as I could head first after wiping out, just so I wouldn't have to attempt skiing it...  Ok, I'll admit I'm an awful skier -- a lot of you know that already, but this was not the best conditions for a novice. It hasn't snowed much this winter so the snow was all artificial and icy and the mountains are actual mountains unlike the hills we have in wisconsin... Someday I'll have to spend a few months in a nice hilly cold weather town and get my snow feet.
Anyway, as tempting as it was to stay in Austria with all the great people I met, something inside was nagging me to get back on the road and head on to Budapest before new years.  I'm here with some guys from Austin that I met in Beograd so I'm sure it'll be a good time. 
Boldog ey evet (happy new years)!

No comments: