Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New pictures of an adventurous day trip

Ok ok, enough with the laundry jokes...  Sorry I didn't check in earlier, but that story had a happy ending -- the day I left all my left over laundry miraculously turned up and nothing was lost!
 
I'm in kajuraho now -- in between I stopped off at gwalior and orcha each for a night.  The orcha stop involved taking a train to jhansi and walking about five kilometers across town with my back pack.  I was looking for a hotel but didn't like what I saw so when I got to the bus station I took a cheap tempo (kind of like an oversized rickshaw) to orcha.  A private rickshaw probably would have been rupees 150 -- this was only 30 (It should have only been 10 but I was tired, hungry, didn't care and let myself got ripped off -- all I cared was that I didn't pay the 150 rupees).  The tempo had two benches facing each other, each about as wide as the back seat in most western style midsized cars.  We squeezed in 12 people (don't worry, four of them were kids) and my back pack. 
 
The next day I was fortunate to find a tempo back into jhansi. It was relatively empty -- only seven adults -- two of them were travelers with backpacks like me. They were both headed to Kajuraho and we all found our bus together.  It was kind of an unusual meeting in that we exchanged names immediately upon meeting in the tempo!  "I'm sarah." "Hi Sarah, I'm Jeff".  "Oh, I'm Jeff 2" the other jeff said -- the explained its actually jeanfrancois but gets shortened to Jeff.  We all checked into the same hotel and met a french guy named Damien that night.  Somehow that night we also met a few locals and i didn't find out exactly how we met them until a few days later but they showed us around and one offered to take us out to a tiger reserve with water falls 40 kilometers from town.  I don't have time now to go into the details of that adventure but I just uploaded the pictures and until I have a chance to say more I'll let them speak for themselves...
 
 
Until next time,
Namaste

No comments: